They say that discipline must outlast motivation, but a good dose of motivation can work wonders! Especially in the midst of a tough run, race, or training cycle, it can provide perspective at a crucial time. Sometimes you just need a little pep in your step (literally and figuratively!). My hope is that these motivational running quotes will inspire you when you need it most.
If you find one running quote that is particularly relevant or motivational to you, write it down. Put it somewhere where you can see often. During tough times, whether on a run, at home, or work, a few succinct wise words can help you reset, gain perspective, and keep moving forward.
Related topic: Eight Tips to Keep Your Fitness Motivation
And, of course, there’s no substitute for the work necessary to achieve any running goal we pursue. But, our mindset around working towards that goal IS important. I hope some of these (mostly) running quotes will give you some much needed motivation, inspiration, and hope!
P.S. It’s not a coincidence that there are 26 quotes! 😉
Running Quotes – a Dose of Inspiration
- “Most of us have enough areas in our lives where we have to meet others’ expectations. Let your running be about your own hopes and dreams.” Meb Keflezighi
- “I didn’t feel like running today, which is exactly why I went.”
- “In the midst of an ordinary training day, I try to remind myself that I am preparing for the extraordinary.” ~Shalane Flanagan
- “The body achieves what the mind believes.”
- “Whatever distance you believe you can run is the exact distance you will end up running.” Michael D’Aulerio
- “It’s all about the training. Nobody wakes up and runs a marathon.” ~Ali Feller
- “Be somebody nobody thought you could be.”
- “If you train your mind for running, everything else will be easy.” ~Amby Burfoot
I particularly appreciate motivational quotes that remind me that running isn’t easy – not just for me. Pretty much everyone struggles, even the professionals who make it look so easy!
Inspirational Quotes to Keep Your Running on Track
- “If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon.” ~Kathrine Switzer
- “I’m tired. It’s too hot. It’s raining. It’s too late. It’s too cold. Let’s go.”
- “In running, it doesn’t matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, ‘I have finished.’ There is a lot of satisfaction in that.” ~Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder
- “Everyone is an athlete. The only difference is some of us are in training, and some are not.”
- “Motivation remains key to the marathon: the motivation to begin, the motivation to continue, the motivation never to quit.” ~Hal Higdon
- “At first they will ask you why you’re doing it. Later, they’ll ask how you did it.”
- “As we run, we become.” ~Amby Burfoot
- “A 12 minute mile is just as far as a six minute mile.”
- “It’s hard to explain to someone who doesn’t run why one of my goals is to suffer a little.”
Inspiring Quotes When the Running Gets Tough
- “When you recognize that failing doesn’t make you a failure, you give yourself permission to try all sorts of things.” ~Lauren Fleshman
- “The ability to run the extra mile lies in between your ears. Keep going.”
- “Strength doesn’t come from the physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ~Gandhi
- “If running is difficult, run more. This lesson applies to anything.”
- “Never limit where running can take you. I mean that geographically, spiritually, and of course, physically.” ~Bart Yasso
- “The pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tomorrow.”
- “Scared is what you’re feeling. Brave is what you’re doing.” ~Emma Donoghue
- “All you need is the courage to believe in yourself and put one foot in front of the other.” ~Karen Switzer
- “The pain of running relieves the pain of living.” ~Jacqueline Simon Gunn
I love quotes! If you have some quotes about running, or ‘life-in-general’ that give you some motivation, please comment, email me, and let me know!